Wednesday 13 March 2013

Mothers of Sons



Mother's Day and as a mother of sons I received fabulous flowers and gifts that I loved so much - I spent a lot of my day reminiscing (the definition of which is 'indulge in enjoyable recollection of past events')


some of the flowers in my bouquets and plants!

So reminiscing got my mind active and I came up with the meaning of 'mothers of sons'!  Speaking only as a mother of sons - I can't speak for mothers of daughters, although I am sure there are similarities!

  • M = Maternal - oh yes maternal forever - no matter how old your children get they will remain your children!  And you will love them deeply and stick up for them through thick and thin.  No matter what,  your son will always, always be innocent in your eyes!
  • O =  Optimum level of anxiety!  This is a huge O! 
Baby boy sound asleep in cot best just prod him to be sure he's ok!
   
At school and another mother accosts you with 'your son hit my son' - no surely not - anxious now but trying not to show it - did he really?

Teenage boy old enough to go out on his own - this is definitely the optimum level of anxiousness! 'Where are you going?' 'How long will you be?' 'Ring me when you get there!' 'I won't go to bed 'til you get home! I want to know you're safe!' 

Girlfriends and the ultimate heart breaking split (which breaks your heart as much as theirs). The first thing you want to do is give the girl a good talking to 'how dare she'?  Oh and if it's the other way round - girl wasn't good enough for him - sorry girls but this is my son we are talking about here!

On to employment!  Wow! If someone doesn't think your son is good enough - you almost have to tie yourself to the chair - and said chair must be nailed down or all hell is let loose - mum phoning place of work is a definite no no!  The levels of anxiety are at bursting point! 

  • T = Tales and Telling Tales!  Lots and lots of them of course! 


Cannon and Ball moment (comedians, just in case you are too young to remember). Telling 7 year old son off (quite a common occurrence with one son in particular!) and he pretends to pull his elastic braces down saying' I've let you down haven't I?' Trust me, trying to stay cross at that moment - impossible!

Big brother locking younger brother in cellar and tells him not to tell mum - good try big brother but little bro can't wait to spill the beans!

  • H = Hope - you always hope of course that they will do well, be healthy and find someone who cares for them as much as you do (mum, of course, being a really hard act to follow, well she thinks she is anyway!)
  • E = Emotion (lots of it!) and embarrassment (oh yes lots of embarrassment is absolutely necessary and all part of growing up) sons definitely don't want the world to know you care! 
Teenage son forgot his packed lunch!  Mum rushes back home and picks said lunch up and takes it back - son in sweet shop outside the school with friends - Mum hands lunch to son - mum completely ignored!  Honestly the embarrassment of having your mother worrying about you not eating lunch! Tut!

And it doesn't stop there - mums are always proud - but for goodness sake don't make that public on Social media!  

Oh and it's not all one sided!  Your embarrassment when 3 year old son comes up to you and puts something on breakfast table in hotel saying 'I found that up my nose!'

Emotional - you will find emotions you never knew you had bursting into tears with happiness, pride and actually just any blooming thing to do with your son!  

  • R = Remember!  Your sons get married, have children and you constantly share your memories 'I remember when his dad did that' 'just like his dad' 'oh doesn't she look like her dad' OMG daughter in laws I apologise profusely now here in public - how you must cringe!  I cant promise to stop though it just comes naturally - you will see! :)


AND R = Realisation too!  The sudden realisation that they have left home and your place is ONLY to be there when they need you!  Oh and actually you don't have to wait for them to come home any more! 

  • S = Strong!  Oh yes if you are to be a mother of sons or daughters you must be strong - well let's face it no-one said it was gonna be easy did they and I think childbirth gives you a clue! 
Oh yes I enjoyed those few hours going over memories and know how I can now relax and enjoy my grandchildren - grandsons and grand-daughters - who will, of course, remind me of their dads, my sons, forever! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments - be great to hear from you!